Read: John 3:1-2
Nicodemus is a Pharisee… What’s a Pharisee?
- someone who seeks their salvation through obedience to the law.
- someone who walks by sight
Listen to how Jesus replies to this Pharisee….
Read John 3:3
What does that mean?
What does it mean to be born again?
- think about it, but don’t answer
- Nicodemus didn’t understand either
Read John 3:4-8
“No one can be born again unless he is born of water and the Spirit”
- No one can be born again
- No one will see the kingdom of God
- No one will be saved from their sins…
Unless they are born again of the Spirit.
We all need to be born again in the Spirit, but what does that mean?
Nicodemus and the Pharisees walked by sight…
- hoping that their obedience
- hoping that their righteousness
- hoping that if they didn’t pick on each other
- hoping that if they didn’t make the wrong friends
- hoping that if they didn’t blame others
- hoping that if they didn’t make excuses
- hoping that if they didn’t brag
- hoping that if they weren’t conceited
- hoping that if they didn’t complain
- hoping that if they didn’t argue
- hoping that if they didn’t get in fights
- hoping that if they didn’t tattle
- hoping that if they didn’t lie
- hoping that if they didn’t steal
- hoping that if they weren’t selfish
- hoping that if they didn’t whine
- hoping that if they didn’t tease others
- hoping that if they didn’t disobey
hoping that if they just did enough then it would be enough to save their souls
Jesus is saying here… That won’t work…. A man cannot walk by sight like Nicodemus and be saved.
What’s your problem?
- your problem isn’t what you do or what you don’t do
- your problem is your heart
Lets read some verse about our hearts…
(With each verse… make a black slash through the heart)
The LORD saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.
The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?
“There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God.
All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”
“Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit.” “The poison of vipers is on their lips.”
“Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”
“Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know.”
No matter how hard we try… we will not save ourselves.
Are you walking by sight like the Pharisees…
hoping you are good enough, strong enough, righteous enough.
Jesus is calling you to repent and walk by faith… not by sight
Each one of you must pray to God and ask Him to change our hearts
You can continue to go through the motions
We dress up
- We come to church
- We bring our Bibles
- We sit where we need to sit
- We say what we need to say
You can even get baptized…
Getting yourself all cleaned up on the outside won’t change your heart.
(wipe away the black with water)
Salvation is a work of God accomplished through the blood of Christ
If you want to be born again… you must begin to walk by faith.
Recognize your hearts are black with sin
- Recognize you can’t save yourselves.
- Put your trust in the precious blood of Christ
(Use red paint to cover over the heart)