Read: Matthew 22:34-40
How many of you have ever been in a fight?
How does the fight start?
- One person says something the other person doesn’t like
- The other person says something even worse that the other person doesn’t like.
- Then the other person says something even worse that the other person doesn’t like.
What would have prevented the fight from growing and escalating?
Less pride, less anger, less jealousy, less insecurity, less selfishness flowing out of the person’s mouth.
Do you see what the problem is when we get in fights? The problem is our hearts…. we are selfish, we get angry, we get jealous and prideful… and then those things flow out of our mouths like bullets aimed at others.
It is our wants, our needs, our love, and our desires vs. someone else’s wants, needs, loves, and desires
Think about what we just read…. What would have prevented this fight from happening?
- How many of you think…. “Love your neighbor as yourself.”?
- How many of you think…. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.”?
It’s tricky isn’t it…..????
Which is it…?????
Friends, listen…. We’ve got to first Love God.
I don’t think it does me any good to tell you:
- Stop getting in fights
- Stop being so prideful
- Stop getting angry
- Treat others better
Tonight we are in Proverbs Chapter 10:19-21
- Don’t say things that are hateful, rude, mean, and full of lies.
- Do say things that are loving, kind, gentle, and truthful
- And you won’t get in fights with other people
But you can’t…. you will not…. And you won’t.
Romans 3:23 we’ve all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God
- God loves you
- God sent Christ to do what we could not
- Christ loved you and died for you
- We react and respond to that love
We’ve got to first love God
Then, God will give us the love to love others.
Read Proverbs 10:19-21
If you want these things to be true of your life…. Love God!