Children’s Church – Every Story Whispers His Name
Enter Goliath: Jeremy Goodman (dressed as Goliath)
Chickens! You yellow-belly no good Israelites. Nothing but a bunch of Chickens!
Your God can’t save you…. I’ll rip off your ears and eat them on toast…
Your nothing to me
Haaa haaaa haaa…. I’m going to destroy your whole army
Your God is nothing to me!
Teaching: The Young Hero and the Horrible Giant
Do you all remember this story?
God’s people have had some serious enemies and Goliath was certainly one of them.
Raise your hand if you remember how this story ends? Good
Before we get to the ending… let’s think about what we just saw….
- What did Goliath just do?
- What was he doing?
Was he simply making fun of the people?
- By making fun of God’s people…
- By challenging God’s people….
By mocking God’s people…. Goliath mocked God
(At this point back up to the beginning of 1 Samuel 17 and tell the story leading up to David’s arrival at the battlefront and his introduction to Goliath)
Lets think about the things Goliath …………..
Read: 1 Samuel 17:41-45
What did Goliath think…. What were his thoughts?
Verse 42 – Goliath despised David….. Goliath Hated David and so hated David’s God
What did Goliath say?
Verse 43 – “Am I dog”…… And Goliath cursed David and so cursed David’s God
What did Goliath do?
Verse 44-45 – Goliath went out to attack David with sword and spear and javelin and so actively opposed God.
Goliath mocked God
- His thoughts were full of sin against God
- Hist words were full of sin against God
- His actions (what he did) were full of sin against God.
Goliath was an enemy of God
Do you know a “word” would have rolled off Goliath’s tongue ohhh so easily……? “I”
It’s easy to say… “I’m not like Goliath….” Isn’t it?
- I go to church
- I’m a Christian
- I… I…. I…. I….
Think about it… are you more like Goliath than you realize?
- Goliath went out to battle in his own name
- Concerned about his honor and his glory
Think about…. your thoughts….. Your words…… And your actions
- Are you spending more time thinking about what “I” want, “I” need, and “I” desire?
- Or, Do you spend your time thinking about God’s wants and God’s desires for your life?
- Are you spending more time talking about what “I” want, “I” need, and “I” desire?
- Or, Do you spend your time talking about God’s wants and God’s desires for your life
- Are you spending more time working towards what “I” want, “I” need, and “I” desire?
- Or, Do you spend your energy working towards God’s wants and God’s desires for your life?
Are you more like Goliath than you realize?
(what do you think about, what do you talk about, what do you spend your time doing)
- Goliath went to battle in his own name
- David went to war in the Name of God
Romans 3:23 – We have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God – We are all a little bit more like Goliath then we’d probably like to admit
Who wins the battle between David and Goliath? – God
- God uses David to overcome the sin and mockery of the Philistine army
- David was the faithful servant God used to defeat his enemies
- But it wasn’t David’s strength or courage or battle skills that defeated Goliath
- The power of God destroys Goliath
- David goes to war In God’s name
- We must go to war with sin in the name of Christ
- We cannot defeat Goliath…. We cannot destroy the selfishness and sin in our lives
- We must put our faith and trust in the name Jesus Christ….
Who wants to take down Goliath? (Nerf balls and slingshot – First boy and first girl to nail the big guy wins a prize)
- Who is tired of standing on the wrong side of the Battlefield.
- Ask yourself the question…. Am I standing shoulder to shoulder with Goliath….. Mocking God with my thoughts…. my speech…. and my actions
- Put your faith and trust in the name of Christ…. Everyday ask him to forgive you of sin….. Everyday ask him to draw you closer to him.