“For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks” (Luke 6:45).
Tedd Tripp in his book Shepherding a Child’s Heart explains Luke 6:45 for us… “The Heart Directs Behavior.” As we enter into the shepherding process with our boys, the constant temptation will be to focus on behavior; however, we must remember that our child’s behavior is simply a manifestation of the activity taking place within them. Our job as fathers is to get behind the tantrum, underneath the outburst, or through the hissy fit; discern the reason for the display; and then help our boys address that particular heart issue. This is hard work, a far more involved and challenging process than simply addressing external behavior through positive and negative consequences. However, we will see that it is work well worth doing as we witness the hearts of our boys being molded and shaped into Christ-likeness.
I hope that our “What would you do if…?” Men’s Night Out provides you with an opportunity to shepherd your son’s heart. For more information on shepherding, check out Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp. Copies are available in our church library.
FATHER SON NIGHT
“What Would You Do If…?”
Use these questions as conversation starters with your son
- What would you do if another boy your age pushed your sister down in the park or picked on your little brother? Proverbs 3:29-31; 12:20; 14:16-17; 15:18
- What would you do if, while at a friend’s house, your buddy tried to get you to look at something inappropriate on the internet or television? What would you do? Proverbs 2:12-18; 1:10, 15
- What would you do if you saw a friend steal candy from a convenient store? Proverbs 1:19; 10:2; 13:11; 11:24-25
- What would you do if a girl in your class said she likes you or wants to be your girlfriend? Proverbs 18:24; 27:10; 27:17
- What would you do if you saw your friends throwing rocks at a dog or doing something mean to an animal? Proverbs 12:10
- What would you do if you saw one of your friends laughing at another child with special needs? Proverbs 11:12; 19:29; 1:22
- What would you do if someone told you a secret that was mean-spirited about someone else that wasn’t true? Proverbs 11:9; 11:13; 20:19
- What would you do if one of your friends said something hateful about God? Proverbs 3:19-20; 15:29; 16:3; 21:2
- What would you do if your friend tried to talk you into doing something that wasn’t safe? Proverbs 29:25; 1:33; 3:21-26
- What would you do if a friend told a lie about you? Proverbs 12:19; 12:20; 14:25