Parents these teaching outlines are from our Awana Council times this past Fall.
Read: John 6:14-21
What can we learn from this story?
What’s the first thing we should notice about Jesus?
Point 1 – Jesus is humble so we should be humble
- What does it mean to be humble?
- Do you know what Pride is?
Pride and Humility are opposite of each other.
Pride is thinking of yourself first…
- Your wants first
- Your needs first
- Your feelings first
Humility is thinking of God first, then others, then maybe yourself
- God’s wants first
- God’s feelings first
Do you know the difference between pride and humility?
Things a prideful person does vs. Things a humble person does?
(pin the story on the humility/Pride scrolls object lesson)
- Prideful Story: Adam and Eve eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil
- Prideful Story: The people building the tower of Babel
- Humble story: Noah building the ark
- Prideful story: Jacob swindling his brother’s birth-right and tricking his father.
- Prideful story: Moses striking the rock at Meribah
- Humble story: Ruth stays with Naomi in her time of need
- Prideful story: Jonah refuses to go to Ninevah and runs away
- Prideful story: The Pharisees arguing with Jesus about law
- Prideful story: The rich young ruler (sell everything and give to the poor)
- Prideful story: The prodigal son
- Prideful story: Peter denies Jesus 3 times
- Prideful story: Judas betrays Jesus for money
Look back at and read vv. 14-15
The people saw the miraculous things Jesus had done… and they were going to make him a King.
What does Jesus do….. v. 15?
Why does Jesus go away?
Jesus didn’t want the honor and glory that would come with a being an earthly King
Jesus isn’t concerned or worried about himself…
- His wants
- His needs
- His feelings
Who’s wants and feelings were Jesus concerned about?
- God the Father’s
Who’s wants and feelings were Adam and Eve concerned about?
- Adam was worried about himself
- His wants
- His needs
- His desires
Adam worshipped himself…. He disobeyed God….. and sin came into the world and has been reeking destruction and death ever since.
Sin and pride lead to death and destruction
Adam was prideful but Jesus was humble
Jesus didn’t come into the world to sit on a throne as a King
Why did Jesus come?
- Jesus prays in Matthew 6:10…. Your Kingdom come, your will be done
- Jesus came to do God’s will
- Jesus was perfectly obedient…
How obedient was Jesus?
How humble was Jesus?
Listen…. Philippians 2:6-8
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!
Listen… lets finish up
Life is hard for Jesus’ disciples…
- Its dark
- Its cold
- There stuck in a storm in the middle of the sea
We are going to be tempted to be prideful
We are going to find ourselves in the middle of storms
We are going to find ourselves in situations where we are very tempted to be prideful
It’s hard to be humble like Jesus
If God calls you to himself?
If you decide to follow Jesus?….. It won’t be easy
But God is powerful enough to calm the storm and walk on water
Jesus Christ lived the perfect life, always humble and never prideful, to the point of death on the cross.
If we put our faith in Jesus Christ, then Jesus will rescue us from storms and give us the love and humility we need to love God and others.
J.C. Ryle’s John Commentary has served as the primary teaching supplement throughout this Fall’s series.