Day 2 Devotional
Read: Exodus 20:1-17 & 20
Have any of you ever disobeyed your parents or teachers?
Have any of you ever wished you had something that wasn’t yours?
Have any of you ever had a mean thought about someone else?
You have broken God’s law
You are standing in the presence of God — a law-breaker in great need
- LIke Adam and Eve after they ate the fruit
- Like Cain after he killed his brother Abel
- Like Noah after he got off the Ark
- Like Moses when he killed a man
- Like David when he took Bathsheba from Uriah
- Like Peter when he denied Jesus
- Like the soldiers who spit on the cross of Jesus Christ
You are no different — You have broken God’s law
Do you know of anyone who has kept all 10 commandments?
The rest of us are sinners
Sin is anything that we say, think, or do that isn’t pleasing to God
The 10 commandments are like a mirror
- You might have dirt all over your face, but not know it. Not until you look in the mirror.
- In the same way…. we might not know how bad our behavior is until we look into God’s mirror.
- The 10 Commandments show us what we are doing wrong
- God’s law is like a mirror that shows us the dirt all over our hearts.
- God’s law points us to our sin
And at the same time…
God’s law points us to our need for Jesus Christ and His righteousness.
How do you know you are a sinner and that you’ve fallen short of God’s glory? – God’s law tells us
This lesson is adapted from Go Fish’s Backstage with the Bible VBS curriculum.